The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I Saw The Light: Peace, Love and Barbecue

A recent post by my friend, Robert, over at WhiteTrashBBQ made me grab my copy of Mike Mill's and Amy Mills-Tunnicliffe's astoundingly wonderful book, Peace, Love and Barbecue.

Unfortunately, Robert's fish based on the recipe from the book went awry somewhere, but I wanted to stop and look at it again to remember why I loved it so much.

I realized that it is more than the recipes, which are careful, generous and user-friendly. It's also not the stories of real life barbecue artisans and legends, their triumphs and failures, and the b.s. that makes the 'que game fun on top of everything else it offers.

The thing that I love most is that the book delivers on the promise that the title offers. It truly is filled with peace, love and barbecue. From the opening sections of the book, where the story of how bbq filled the Mills family's life and travels, to Mike Mill's introduction to the business of barbecue, Peace, Love and Barbecue offers an open hand to encourage you to begin on the road of barbecue, to share with your friends and family, and most of all, to have fun.

Mike signed my copy in June, 2005-- "To Matt, Thanks for the support. Hope you enjoy. Barbecue is all about friends, family and love." Couldn't have said it better myself.

Basic Dry Rub
Peace, Love and Barbecue
Rodale Books

3 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chili pwd
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seed, bruised
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp mustard pwd

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

Makes about 1/3 cup

I posted a video from the BBQ Pilgrim about Mike Mills right here

3 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Peace, Love and Barbecue is gonna reign in New Paltz this weekend my friend. I hope you can make it.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, Matt! We really enjoyed meeting you at the Block Party and I hope our paths cross again soon!

Really enjoy your blog!

Amy Mills Tunnicliffe

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Life in the Hood said...

Great blog I eenjoyed reading

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.