The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Perfect This Time: The Perfect Team Corporation

My family has always loved dim sum. In fact, Chinese food in general has always played a role in my life. Some of my earliest childhood memories are of meeting my grandparents, aunts and uncles in Chinatown and ascending the escalators into the overwhelmingly decorated, glittering dim sum parlors and planting ourselves around a tremendous round table and covering every surface with dishes of steaming, glistening dumplings and gently undulating things I had never seen before. We would sit for hours grazing and, most often, the adults discussed politics.

My grandparents helped bring a family to this country from China, and as a child I knew them as aunts, uncles, and cousins. Through them and my grandparents, we met a family that ran an import store on Mott St. and after dim sum, or a meal at the original Peking Duck House, we would stop by the store and I would suck on rice candies that came wrapped in rice paper that slowly dissolved on your tongue. The candies were soft, like sweet, slightly fragrant rice flavored disappearing gum. That's how I remember it, anyway.

This is a long winded way of getting to the point. That my mother is living what are most likely the last days of her life. Armed with that knowledge and the hangover of a generally sleepless night, I awoke yesterday and told The Wife that we were going to Flushing for breakfast. She enjoys Chinese food, but wasn't raised with Soy Sauce in her veins like I was. So, we wound up at Perfect Team Corporation on 37th Ave. This is possibly the best, freshest, most hot and steamy dim sum I have ever had. It tasted like my childhood, my memory, my life and the way of the world-- salty, sour, sweet, spicy, tart, and it just felt right.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my earliest memories was in a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown called Hung Fat. ( No wise cracks)...My family was asked to leave after I filled up my almost full coke bottle with sugar and it proceeded to reenact Krakatoa. The soda sprayed all over the ceiling and landed on us and other customers.

My prayers are with you and your family.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your entry when trying to look up this restaurant on the internet. I've heard repeated raving recommendations from friends, ones I particularly trust, and was pleased to have stumbled onto yours. I've been meaning to try it and it looks like it'll happen soon. It's a small world, Hampton Smoker.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.