The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Saturday, December 06, 2008

The Truly Great Thing: My First Pig at Wildwood BBQ

This is a 33 pound suckling pig that I cooked for a dinner party of 25 people at Wildwood BBQ. After minimal butchering work inside of her, I injected 2-3 quarts of seasoned liquid including apple juice and rub and a few other items and let her sit for 1/2 an hour to warm up and marinate.

She went into the pit at 225 degrees over oak, apple and hickory for about 7 hours total, including time to rest. I basted about every hour or so using a spray bottle. When she was all done, we replaced her eyes with maraschino cherries and popped the apple in her mouth. I used a ball of foil to hold the jaw at the right aperture.



















































4 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Looks good. How'd she taste?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ted Lorson said...

That looks great!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

WTBBQ, I didn't get a chance to taste it-- can you believe that!? It smelled so good, though.

Thanks, Ted! I hope all is well with the Lorson clan these days.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had dinner with Jim at WW last Saturday nite, and our waitress very excitedly told me about the pig being really good. Also, Jim's gf Maria's friends wanted me to tell you they had a really great meal. We bumped into them on Saturday as they were leaving. I must say the food I had was greatly improved.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.