The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Do You Believe in Magic?

Yes, my friends, the days are longer and the temperatures climbing which means it is time to put the sweaters on moth balls and get outside. That's exactly what the wife and I did last weekend. We packed Lois in the car and made our way out to eastern Strong Island (uh, Long Island).

We laid around on lounge chairs in the driveway like a coupla hillbillies. I have an old, cheap stereo in the basement and we cranked up the Kitty Wells and whispered sweet nothings to Wubby.

We cooked 6 racks of baby back ribs, 14 split chicken breasts, a brisket and the butt end of a fresh ham, along with a fatty (a big log of Jimmy Dean sausage).

I made a new wild cherry rub, and tested my new secret universal bbq sprinkle for the first time. Here are three racks. From left to right, with wild cherry, my universal sprinkle and Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust. Next to that is a piece of bbq chicken w/ the cherry rub.

Here're near-finished ribs and the brisket.

7 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Kitty Wells? Who's the WhiteTrash here? Oh you're so close - sleeping in the driveway, but you're not there yet.

Great looking cook!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, WTBBQ! I was inspired by your pics from your easter feast-- is there any duck left?

Now's the time of year for sleeping under the stars, before the 'skeeters go a huntin'

12:52 PM  
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

The duck didn't survive dinner. It was gone before the mashed potatoes.

You ready to do some mass marketing of birds next holiday seaon?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

NICE! Lookin good Matt! Strong Island...that must be nice. I'm looking forward to gettin' out to the Sag a lot over the summer to visit my uncle. So do you guys all finish all the barbecue or do you have leftovers for months? Hook me up man!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

WhiteTrash, I'll gladly hatch the holiday plan with you this year. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two about making them cluckers purty.

Mona, I should take a picture of my freezer for you-- and my brother's freezer for that matter. We could survive a famine on our supplies. Drop me an email if you want some eats, we'll be glad to share.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try the chicken!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Well, c'mon over, Amym! That's what's for dinner tonight. We're having that chicken and some roasted brussel sprouts and mac n cheese. Yum!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.