The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Breaking The Law

I hope you all had a good weekend. My weekend turned shitty real quick when my bank called me to tell me that someone had made a counterfeit copy of my debit card and charged about $500 worth of crap at WalMart, leaving me broke. I hope your cheap imported goods burn your house down you assholes.

It had started with so much promise, too. Hiroshi and I had a late brunch comprised of a sausage fatty that I had smoked a few weeks back, and some rich, chessy eggs.I'm not really a big fan of most breakfast sausage, which is usually greasy, bland and unpleasantly rich, but this really changed my mind. People have been raving about the fattys in bbq circles, but I held off. The mild flavors of the sausage are balanced by the time in the smoke, which grounds the whole flavor profile and adds a strong backbone to replace some of the grease and fat which are rendered in the cooking. I could imagine using this smokey sausage in gravys, stuffed peppers, chili, lasagna or other pastas, lots of places where pork and a little smoke couldn't hurt....so, almost anything, really.

Check out the new song to 'que by-- The Tom Robinson Band doing "2-4-6-8 Motorway," another lost pop gem.


9 Comments:

Blogger BlueMule said...

Sorry to hear about your identity theft incident. What a drag!

But now I must know more about these "suasage fatties" you show. I'm assuming this is essentially a ball of sausage that's been smoked, right?

Mule

10:34 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey, Mule...Thanks. I guess it's likely to happen to all of us at some point, but it sux.

The fatties are the big bulk sausage logs made by Jimmy Dean and others. I got this one from BJ's, I think. Some people roll them in rub, others stuff them w/ cheese or jalapenos, etc...This was my first one, and I'll definitely try it again. Give it a shot...

11:12 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Man, I am really sorry to hear that. Hope everything is cleared up as quickly as possible.

1:25 PM  
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Did you roll the fattie in a rub or just put it on naked?

I've done a few over the years, and I have to admit, I'm not a great fattie fan. They're OK, but not worthy of the exualted position afforded them.

If I cook one, it's usually for use in another recipe. Like Fattie stuffed mushrooms.

http://whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com/2006/04/easter-barbecue-birdland.html

1:25 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

S'kat-- thanks, me too. Frigging (beeeeeeeep)ers!! Hope you're eating and drinking well.

WTBBQ-- Just smoked it naked. It was regular, not maple or sage or anything. It was great w/ eggs, but I definitely could see it reaching full potential in other dishes. It didn't change my life, but it's a nice treat.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not big fan of the Jimmy Dean variety of fatties either. I made a couple with Johnsonville brats.I removed the brats from their casing and added some Dizzy Dust rub and some maple syrup. I thought they came out real tasty. I liked the texture much better then the jimmy dean stuff too.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

YankeeBBQ-- you rolled your own fatty, huh? Good idea....I bet that turned out nicely. I'll definitely have to give that whirl w. the brats...thanks for the idea!

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! choice of an obscure, underrated power pop gem...Tom Robinson! I love it. See, such choices are why I check Hamton Smoker often. Thanks for the memory of JR. year Highschool which is probably the last time I heard that song.

Also...I can't believe you got hit with ID theft. Such a hassle. F*&%ers aughta get a swift boot to the groin (at the very least) for that S*$#!

Having said that,
Peace;)

-TPDX

1:29 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, TPDX aka Captain Midnight! Glad to see you dropping in. It's been too long since we talked-- have you gone shroom hunting?

Anywho...Yup, that Tom Robinson song hits me in the nostalgia gut, too...the way a good pop song can do, even when you're hearing for the first time...Hmm, only one boot to the groin? I don't think so....

Peas, to you......

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.