The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Where Have All The Flowers Gone?

Hey Kids...Sorry to be so sporadic with updates recently, but with my mom still in the hospital and general life being what it is...well, it only leaves time to eat. There have been plenty of tasty vittles going down the hatch recently, but I'll start with the 'que review from last weekend.

The wife and I went to Long Island with a cooler full of spareribs and a 19lb (18.86 to be exact) beef roast that was incorrectly id'd as brisket (that's ok, honey, it was delish anyway!). I was actually a little relieved-- a 19lb brisket would probably take more than 20 hours to cook.

Knowing that 30lbs of food wasn't enough for me to feel like I'd really had a chance to cook, I picked up a few pounds of hot italian sausage, a ham (to double smoke) and some pork chops for friday night's dinner. The wife served that w/ some HUGE margaritas, roasted vidalias in a greuyere-cream sauce which we had w/ the sausage the next day, too. Yumma-numma! (take that Rachel Ray).

I wasn't sure how that huge roast would turn out, so I injected the cr@p out of it w/ a mixture of apple juice, water, broth and (secret ingredients deleted). It was perfect. The ribs had a nice straightforward rub that I used on the ham, too. I made a honey glaze for the ham that included some Jack Stack (Kansas City legends) sauce, and I used that on the ribs at the last minute, too. Here's what it all looked like. Click a pic to get up close and personal.

Roast Beef




A little rib taste and the ham




4 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Damn that food looks great. Not a bad day's haul.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, amigo. We got to pick a time to get together and cook.

Got plans around July 4? I know someone that needs bbq that weekend.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking grub Matt!

Did up 12 racks of babybacks on 3 Jul and only wish we hadn't misplaced our camera while back in NY- they looked and tasted great. Did 6 with a modifed 3-2-1 (3- 1.25 - .5) and 6 in the smoke for 5 hrs. First batch was with hickory and the second was with peach. Hit them with a slather of mustard first and a rub that I got from P. Kirk's book. Last half hour I finished them with some Blues Hog. Was suprised at how moist the second batch was without foil. This all on my new WSM that I got from Hawgeyes.
Later, L.I. Bob

9:37 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, Bob! Man, my mouth is watering right now from thinking about them ribbies...The smell of Peach wood burning is so darn nice. The first time you smell that it just knocks you out of your boots. Sounds like you had a great 4th holiday...

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.