The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Do Anything You Wanna Do: Of life and cheffery

Ahhhh, a day off. When I was in the kitchen, I didn't want to leave, but now that I'm home, I don't want to go back. This is the tension that I've noticed-- the two lives cannot mix-- kitchen and outside the kitchen. I become absorbed, enmeshed in the activity and the rhythms and sounds of the kitchen...the smells.

I'm learning so much and running so much. Lifting so much. Bending so much. Carrying so much. Moving out of the way so much. Falling behind so much. Doing everything slower than everyone else. So much. Standing around and looking like a lost puppy....so much.

I'm learning it, though. I'm understanding much more of the language that once seemed so foreign; the blur of bodies moving now seems to have much more purpose. I know many of the techniques and skills that I need, but now have to make them more confident and expedient. That will take time.

All of this is to say that, as much as I was confident about my bbq and knowledge of cooking, I had never worked in a professional kitchen, let alone one that puts out this high volume of food, so I was uncertain about giving up my day job and whether I could make this transition. It's starting to seem like maybe, just maybe, the gamble (so to speak) was worth it. More than I imagined.

Click Here to hear Eddie & The Hot Rods: Do Anything You Wanna Do

5 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

I always knew you could do it.

You are an inspiration and a profile in courage.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Terry (aka) Big Daddy said...

You'll be fine Backyard, just trust in your heart and your skills. You'll do fine brother...

Life is the hard part.

Eveything else is a cake walk...

B.D.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi backyard Chef,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.

I'm looking forward to reading more about your kitchen adventures! You can do it!!!

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brotha!

You ARE doing it! Good for you. We are all rooting for your success in the pro kitchen. You can do it Duffy Moon!

Speaking of doing anything you wanna do, I've been hard at play in the studio lately. I'll post some photos of the progess I've made later today. So much fun.

Here's some advice my friend Chef LeBourgne always told us punters when we were leaving his kitchen for the day..."remember to clean your shoes before you leave, a shiny shoe is a happy shoe." Yes he reall said this every day, and he would get on your case if your shoes were dirty. Still do clean my shoes last thing every time I get ready to leave the kitchen for the day.

Peace, T.Primo

1:32 PM  
Blogger Reilly Fox said...

Hey,

Are you finding that your professional obligations are taking away from your enjoyment of cooking as a hobby?

Learning any new tricks we will see on display at Grillin' on the Bay?

Eric

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.