The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Each Coming Night: New Year's Blessings and more

Good hello again, my hearties. Happy new year's blessings and wishes for a wonderful, healthy and prosperous 2008 to you all.

I, for one, am glad to close the book on 2007 and look to the new year. So, I was excited to cook a nice meal for The Wife and Horoshi for New Year's Eve.

We had shrimp and asparagus with white wine, shallots and garlic for a starter. Honestly, you can't see any asparagus in this picture, but it was there...honest!


And that was followed by a beauty of a prime rib that was marinated for about 24 hours or so in a mixture containing mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Soy Sauce, smashed garlic cloves and some additional herbs and spices. It was smoked over cherry at 350-375 until it hit 120 internal, then it was removed, loosely tented with foil and rested for about 1/2 hour. We served it with roasted root vegetables.



The next day was spent cold smoking some cheese, which will be the subject of my next post. Oh, and we also cooked a 15 pound brisket and feasted on some burnt ends. The extra crusty and moist cubes cut from the fattier piece of the brisket.


This past year turned toward the new leaving me and my family and many of our friends in a slightly reflective mood. As we felt the pull of 2008, it slid the rug out from under our feet and we were listening to a sound very much like this song by Iron & Wine I leave you with. In fact, I think it was this very song we listened to as we sat in front of the fire waiting for the ball to drop.

Click here to listen to: Iron & Wine: Each Coming Night

For more on this recording click here:(Our Endless Numbered Days, Sub Pop Records)

3 Comments:

Blogger Terry (aka) Big Daddy said...

Hey Backyard, that looks awesome.

Happy New Year and good luck on the new job. I bought me a pit and I'm starting my own team to do some local KCBS comps. Maybe some day I'll get up your way or you'll come down my way and we can get together and do some cooking and fine eatin'

B.D.

10:32 PM  
Blogger t. primo said...

Asparagus in Janurary? I know that ain't local!

Just giving you grief, Bro!

The food looks so good. I may need to stop this and go have a second breakfast now! Thanks!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, your meals look amazing. That prime rib....gawd man, yer killin' me! It was a rare photo that made me want to lick the screen. There is absolutely nothing like a good prime rib.

Best of luck in the new job and the new year. I look forward to your updates.

Kate (in the Kitchen)
and not a fan of Google

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.