The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Black Cab: Dark City Streets in the Rain, Homemade Bacon and more

My friends, my friends....Tonight is a night of sentimentalism and relief that it is Friday. I need to breathe and get my head together in the smoke this weekend. I don't care if it is cold, or damp. The quiet sounds of the world wash away in the smoke and as my eyes sting and tear, my nose runs, I will sip my bourbon and feel the warmth inside me.

The restaurant world is grinding slowly these days. I feel evermore in the swing of things and each day continues to bring the tiny embarrassments and awkward moments that are the hallmarks of the learning process. Much of it isn't fun, and the work is grueling, physical and repetitive. I feel more aware of what I'm doing and how it interfaces with everything else that is happening. Kitchen sense, as some call it, comes gradually-- being aware of things you have in the oven and on the stove while you are running around doing three other things without using a timer or clock, all the while knowing that even one minute too much can turn something from perfection to garbage-- and every penny and every second counts.

In the spirit of these days in the kitchen, I leave you with a cut by the astounding Sharon Joes + The Dap Kings. Truly channeling Otis, Aretha with the MGs and the Uptown Horns.

Sharon Jones + The Dap Kings: Humble Me

It makes me think what a killer gig it would be to see them with my friends in the Ex Caminos.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.