The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Nightswimming: Food everywhere, but nothing to eat

It's amazing. I'm in the kitchen surrounded by food for 14 hours every day, but never eat. There's no time, and when there is time, nothing seems appealing at that moment. Oh, there's plenty of things I see that I want to grab and gobble throughout the day, but most of it is on the way to a guest's table. Le sigh....

So, by the time I get home at 2-3a.m., I suddenly realize that I need to eat. NOW. Amazingly enough, I don't mind quietly throwing together something-- as long as I don't wake up The Wife. Most people are shocked that I'm willing to cook after a day at the restaurant, but when it's simple and quick, it is painless.

Here's a plate of pasta I made at 3 in the morning when I came home. Some minced onion and garlic, a few tomatoes, some butter and olive oil, Parmesan cheese and sliced string beans. SO GOOD. And, so easy. While the pasta boiled, the sauce came together in a saute'pan. When the pasta was done, I tossed it in the pan with the sauce and threw it in a bowl. Done.




7 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Your such a chef now ain't ya?

Looks good, but where's the meat? What type of beans did you use? Sliced beans? That's new to me.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

I thought it said it in the post, and that the pictures made it clear, but they were string beans. It wasn't a complete meal, perhaps, but it was satisfying. I have plenty of protein in my diet as it is.

1:37 AM  
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

What? You expect me to read every word? I didn't even see the green. Shees, it was late.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BYC,

Let me know if you would like any Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meals episodes. I have them all.

I'm all about the simple and easy, especially at 3am!

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you on TV again last night BYC.

You'll be on a few more times this weekend.

Unwrapped "Outdoor Cooking" on FoodTV

I can almost read what Mike is writing in your book.

Here are the upcoming show times:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cw/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9955_42583,00.html

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I get home, and it's an all out food fest. Family-meal never meets these lips.. who has time?? Not this guy. Although my stomach doesn't always have the patience for your quick and quiet approach.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey there, BaerinthePantry!

My stomach doesn't always have the patience, either. Tonight was awesome, because The Wife left me some cooked tortellini in the fridge with some homemade red sauce and meatballs. We made the sauce and meatballs a few days ago. You'll see in the next post...whenever that comes.

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.