The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Monday, June 30, 2008

I Have Found a Way: in the smoke of morning

My friends, The Wife and I got out of town for a day and we spent the time eating and cooking. We took a break to walk on the beach in the pre-rain fog and mist, letting the big, choppy waves break on our bare feet, feeling the sand pull away beneath us.

I woke up at 6 on Saturday morning and lit a nice fire of Cherry wood and stood in the smoke watching it burn down to coals and waiting for the pit to heat up. We threw on 2 small briskets, 2 racks of babyback ribs and some sausage fatties. At the end of the night, I threw on some burgers made of sirloin and chuck and grilled some asparagus that we served with a white wine, butter and shallot sauce. The cold sides were potato salad and garlic marinated grape tomatoes.

Here're some sights of the foodfest.






SONG OF THE DAY: The Louvin Brothers, "I Have Found a Way"

Read more about the Louvins by clicking here



7 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

That looks so good. You cook all day at work. You cook all day on your day off. You like to cook?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, WTBBQ. Cooking is so much fun. I surprise myself by how much I still enjoy cooking on my days off.

I know you're food is going to make you famous someday, too, my friend. No doubt.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Rev. Smoke said...

I was gonna say - you cook ribs all day and then again at home - to eat nevertheless. Its good to see you love your Q! How different is/are your recipe/flavors at home from what you do at Wildwood?

11:46 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Rev, I'm sure you know (since you cook bbq) that the quest for that 'holy grail of 'que' never ends!

My flavor profiles are very different from what we cook at Wildwood-- including the wood that I cook with at home (cherry) vs the restaurant (oak and apple). At WW our babies are finished with chipotle raspberry sauce and at home, a tangy, vinegar spiked 'k.c.' sauce. Those are just a few differences.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang that burger looks AWESOME!!!!

Gonna have to get me some after I'm out of work in a few months, unless the meat prices start skyrocketing like everything else, hehehehehehe

Reckin they'll blame it on me one more time.

George Bush (Jr)

My daddy is Sr but I call him senor...hehehe

10:32 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks so much, Mr. President. I guess we both have reasons to look forward to you leaving office.

The burgers were deeeelish.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Backyard Chef said...
"Thanks so much, Mr. President. I guess we both have reasons to look forward to you leaving office."



Great,

It's a date then, hehehe

Wait, was that a shot?

I'll need 2 burgers. One for me and one for my friend Michelle Malkin, Shhhhhhhh.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.