The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Year of the Cat: A week off, bbq and single malt

My friends, it is never enough. The Wife and I were out in Long Island for 7 full days of decompression. We had fires in the fireplace every night, and cocktails in the flickering warmth of the hearth. During the days we performed some upkeep on the house which has been (except for us) virtually unused (and therefore unloved) since my mom got sick.

So, what did we eat? Lots of everything. One night, I smoked a bunch of short ribs and then braised them in beer and garlic until they slipped right of the bone. We served it up with a roasted pepper and tomato jam stack. See? We also smoked up a whole bunch of sausage.
The next day I got up and started work on a brisket and pork butt. My plan was to use the fast cooking method that has been becoming more popular with bbq cookers. Traditionally, if it's possible to say that, bbq is cooked between 200-250 (which would be 'hot' to people who cook at these temps) and this new hot cooking is anywhere from 275-400 depending on who you ask. I was probably in the 350-375 range for my cook. I stayed away from using very much sugar to avoid burning things, but I used some and I also butterflied the pork butt to maximize the 'bark' (flavorful seasoned outside). So?

Trimmed Brisket









Butterflied Pork Butt

Finished Brisket

Sliced Brisket

Smoked Hot and Sweet Italian Sausage



Pulled Pork

Wubby puffing sweet blue smoke from her stack


Lois loves bbq! And breakfast, mmmmm...




6 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

As usual, everything looks great.
As usual, you are a cooking fiend.
As usual, I can almost smell the smoke as I look at your pictures.
As usual, I am very jealous.
As usual, you are a rat bastard.

But how did it all taste?
What did you think about the fast cook brisket?
Did you cook the pork fast too?
What type of sausages were they?
Did you make your own or were they bought and pre-smoked?

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question and comment:

Question: what is that yellow/white cylander shaped dealie in the first picture? Looks like a rice concoction.

Comment: That is the biggest hamster I have ever seen!

ARMAGGEDON!!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know when you are gonna smoke some tofu so I can eat some healthy BBQ.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

WhiteTrash, as always, you are too kind. I think. Maybe not. Hmmm....As far as your second round of questions, I'll be answering some of that in an upcoming post-- hang with me. But, yes the pork was cooked along w/ the brisket and the sausages were plain old supermarket style. But they're really good-- the hot are intense and made by a portugese butcher at the market.

Welcome back, Buck! The cylinder is a rice concoction-- I used a ring mold to make a base of rice and then put a layer of the roasted pepper/tomato jam in the middle and topped it with another layer of rice. The two paired perfectly and the sweetness cut the richness of the beef nicely. Fire in the hole.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Fire in the hole"...was the last thing Eric said to Andrew "Kinky" fardem before he lit the match.

ARMAGGEDON!!!!!!!!!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm.....our recent massive snow dump isn't a good harbinger of grilled things to come and I am trying to be patient.

Then I read this.

*sigh*

Someday.....someday the weather will warm, the snow mountains will melt and I will BBQ!! Once more!!!

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.