The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

He's the Uncle


Wow...I'm an uncle (again)! My brother and sister-in-law just had their baby, Gwen Florence, last week on Thursday. The wife and I went over and saw them all in the hospital and, well, I was blown away.

I've never been much of a baby person, to be honest. They're cute and all, but they never took my breath away or anything. Before meeting Gwen, the youngest baby I'd ever met was Lilly, the daugher of my great friends Mark and Alison from Philly. They brought Lilly over when she was just 2 weeks old and she was a gem.

My other niece, Hannah, lives out in Oregon and I first met her when she was 5 or 6--but they live so far away I didn't feel like much of an uncle, but with Gwen living so close by, she won't escape that easily! I can hear her now-- "Uncle Matt is coming over again!? He isn't going to make me eat bbq is he??" Yes, Gwen, I will, but not yet...

The combination of her tiny, soft hands, her pristine skin and features, the way her eyes roll around in her head unsure of where to focus, the little cooing sounds, the lack of crying and that new baby smell all tugged on the ol' heartstrings. Even more compelling than that, though, was the aura of absolute bliss tinged with pride and uncertainty that emanated from the proud parents. As I sat there I had the realization that millions of people must have all the time-- we all were teeny tiny and new at one point before we 'grew up'. Please don't be in a rush.

There's a huge world waiting for you Gwen, and I know you will wow them all.

5 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Congrats Matt and Amy on the new baby. It's a lot of fun being an Uncle and Aunt.

Please also send my congrats to your brother and sister-in-law. Tell them to sleep whenever they can, because that little baby is going to be calling the shots for a long long time.

She's a beauty!

10:52 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Congrats on uncle-dom! I know you'll have her sucking on ribs in no time.

What a sweet little face!!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a beautiful child, congratulations to you and your family.

I have a question, you have a picture of what I assume to be your smoker/bar-b-que on the home page of your site. Where can I get a sweet machine like that?

Thanks.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Matt,

Ya know what the difference is between men and women? A man gets a Klose BYC and his friends say....ooooh I want one. A women sees a brand new cutzie wootzie baby and she says.... ooooh I want one.

You got the BYC.

Tic Toc

6:34 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, Robert. She is a beauty. My goodness. The parents seems so calm at this point. I'm anxious to see how that progresses. Ha.

S'kat, you know it. That cute little mug of hers will be bbq-sauce streaked as soon as possible.

Anon, Wubby's a Backyard Chef model from Klose bbq pits of Houston, Tx. Their website is bbqpits.com. You couldn't ask for more out of a cooker. Call and talk to Dana-- tell her the hampton smoker sent ya...

Anon #2, the way I pamper that cooker and proudly boast about her all the time, it may as well be a baby. I have to tone it down sometimes or the wife gets jealous. Hahaha...uh, um...yeah.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.