The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Rocky Mountain High: Oysters, Nuts and more!

I'll be honest with you, the idea of eating a deep fried, glistening, crispy, succulent testicle out of boiling oil doesn't really float my boat, but I have often wondered what might draw people to do it. What is the texture of a fried gonad?

I've seen them in the raw state, and it aint pretty.

(photo courtesy of http://www.ruhlman.com)

I suppose they might be tasty, though. Michael Ruhlman's blog has a pretty thorough piece on the making of Rocky Mountain Oysters.

I also came across the (self-proclaimed) largest collection of testicle recipes in the world right here. They also conveniently link to their road kill recipe collection. As Thanksgiving approaches, I thought I would post one of their recipes that fits the season. 'Njoy!

Butterflied Turkey Nuts

3 pounds of fresh turkey nuts
1 pound of flour
Salt & Pepper


Heat fryer to 350-degrees.
Rinse nuts under cold running water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Make a lengthwise slit in your nuts, almost cutting in half but not going all the way through (butterfly). Dredge in the seasoned flour and fry immediately. Have a platter with a towel to drain your nuts on. Serve your nuts with your favorite sauce.

Recipe From: http://www.funlinked.com/testicle/recipe.html


6 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Thanks. I was just leaving for lunch when I saw this. I'm not hungry anymore.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Backyard, I have never had gonads,and I really can't bring myself to eat Oysters, no matter how drunk I am. But some people here in the South swear by them.

My saying...what ever floats your boat. Give me barbecue & cold beer, I'm happy.

B.D.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have eaten Turkey testicles many years ago in western Kansas, and they were very good, very rich. I would like to know where I can buy some to cook for a back yard cook out.

11:56 PM  
Blogger TheyDHD said...

Yes, where indeed can one buy testicles of any animal in quantity enough to serve a meal from?

At only two per animal, it can get rather time consuming to gather them when butchering them yourself.

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote about a Testicle Festival in my mystery novel, Just NOrth of Luck, and I'm still getting laughs and shocks from it!

www.susanwhitfieldonline.com

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder who the person was that seen dangling nuts and wondered if they were tasty... I would guess he / she was a swallower???

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.