The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Burning Down The House

How close have you come to dying? Just a few days ago, I came pretty close. In fact, we almost took the whole building out. Not on purpose, for goodness sakes. Accidents happen. It didn't even have anything to do with our dinosaur of a microwave, which is the star of this post. I've mentioned our pathetic microwave before, but wanted to show her off to get some reactions. Aint she something?

What happened is this-- the other day, I made a nice dinner for Amy, but was distracted. She was on her way home, so I turned off the heat under the pot to let everything rest and get ready for plating. Well, she was running late, and I went to turn on the burner again, but never lit the flame. We don't have a pilot light. Gas was quietly streaming out into the apartment.

We went, had our dinner and I brought the plates back to the kitchen. I thought I smelled gas, but ignored that thought for some reason, and went to bed. One the weekends, I always get up, go to the computer and often I use a lighter for something, though I don't smoke cigarettes. Anyway, I got up on Saturday, went to the computer, picked up my lighter and right as I was striking the flame I thought, "Do I still smell gas?" And, thank god I did. The burner was wide open and had been for about 10 hours.

I opened all the windows, turned on a fan, and sat and waited for the sun to come up, feeling alive. Just barely.

6 Comments:

Blogger s'kat said...

Sobering stuff, man. Good thing you didn't flick your bic.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, S'kat. Picture my wife's face when I slammed all the windows open in the bedroom and she rolled over, half-asleep, and asked what I was doing-- "oh, just not killing us, go back to bed."

9:44 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

My dear BC, that is pretty scary!!! I can't say I haven't done something like that myself...my dad calls me the walking disaster. I've been known to leave on the following appliances: ovens, stovetops, irons, curling irons, once I even started a fire but forgot to open the flew (spelling?)...ha! So don't worry, you have one accidental moment, it's allowed.
I'm just glad you're around to post about it:)

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scratching head...

uses a lighter but doesn't smoke...

Hmmm...

Smile.

Good thing you weren't all stuffed up that morning as I often am.

-Timo

12:25 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Nope, but I do have a nasty cough, sometimes.

Just what are you implying, dude?

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't pass gas and think it's in your head. It all comes out in the end. Glad to hear things went well.

Your old cubicle neighbor... The Graphics Guy (H)

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.