The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hang On To Your Ego

A few weeks back, Robert of WhiteTrashBBQ and I took a little road trip with my wife and Robert's daughter, Laura, to Delaware and appeared on the Comcast morning show, Your Morning. They had contacted me about doing a live cooking segment and talking about the recent Grill Kings bbq contest that took place at Belmont Park in Long Island. I was glad to go and more than happy to help promote the biggest contest in my backyard. Regardless of my comments about this year's debacle, I'm proud of the contest.

I cooked a mojo marinated chicken with a basic lemon pepper and herb rub, and gave Robert a new no-cook barbecue sauce recipe to whip up. I cooked a batch the night before so we could pull the 'ol 'magic of television' trick. Here's how the chicken looked on the Green Room tv. I finished the batch that I started on the show and served it to the crew for lunch-- those guys bust their butts.

After we taped the show, Robert navigated us into Philly for lunch at Jack's Firehouse, the restaurant of former Food Network host Jack McDavid. I was excited to try his food-- he's a great chef.

To be honest, the flavor profiles were ok-- the smoke flavor excellent-- but the food was a bit of a letdown. The pork was moist, but flat in flavor, the rib was a disaster-- shiner (all bone, no meat) on one side, a scarce and dried out morsel on the other side. Damn. The brisket was the best, though I liked it better than Robert, with a robust smoke flavor and tender chew.

3 Comments:

Blogger Terry (aka) Big Daddy said...

Hey Backyard, you and White Trash need to come on down to Tennessee and I'll fix you some grub to write home about. I have worked for years to prefect some recipes.

Anytime you come close to this area, give me a shout and I will feed you well. Might make a nice show to boot!

I have thought about trying to get Bobby Flay to come met the team for a challange of a bbq cook off Southern style.

Ego? nah...I just love great food.
B.D.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Nuthin' wrong with with a bit of pride, B.D.

I'd love a trip to TN. I was down there once, mainly around the Opry area in Nashville, but got outside a bit. Beautiful.

I'd love to see that cook-off.

7:40 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Now that sounds like a fun little jaunt, even if some of the food disappointed.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.