The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Running on Empty: Birthday eating part 2 + internet life

When we left off, Hiroshi and I had just filled up on soup dumplings and scallion pancakes.

From there, we browsed the candy stores
But decided to go to the bakery instead...



From there, we made our way down Mott St. towards Mosco St. and the home of my favorite fried dumplings in the world....Fried Dumpling.

We were lured away though by a sign saying 'Grand Opening' and the look and smell of a pizzeria.

I had planned for only one slice, but wound up with two. The pepperoni was great, the crust was thin. It was a good slice, but a lack of 'zing' in the flavors of the sauce and cheese kept it from greatness. I would go back.



At this point a bit more walking was required. We needed to get away from the 'target rich' environment of Chinatown. So, we headed up Lafayette Street towards Union Square. Along the way, though, we made a few stops....one was for Spanish imports and tasty sausages at Despana. Hiroshi likes blood sausage. Me...not so much.


From there, we dragged ourselves over to the awesome Eileen's Special Cheesecake for one last treat...

I picked up a small-ish cheesecake that The Wife and I demolished that night after the rotisserie chicken and sides, and that half a box of Whitman's dark chocolates. Alas, my daytime eating had come to a close and damage had been done to my insides. But not the wallet.

Lastly, dear friends, I am looking for any online cooking and food forums/communities that you love. I know about some of the big sites like Chowhound and Egullet, but where do you hang your hat? I'm looking for a new online home to haunt....

Have a great weekend!!


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try to find a healthy food forum with some flavor!!!!!!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Thanks, Anon...actually, I feel like I need Eater's Anon. after the last couple o' weeks. Another blowout of eating this weekend. Turning over a new leaf tomorrow......

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you meant turning over a new Beef tomorrow.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Absolutely right, mr. fab! In fact, I have a brisket in the fridge that we cooked and are thawing for dinner. I had a triple cheeseburger last night-- and chili, and a chicken sandwich...from Wendy's.

The diet is thwarted again.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Looks like a trip to Chinatown is long overdue! When I have the extra time, I like to go to Serious Eats as well as egullet, Chowhound and Mouthfuls.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.