The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Apply Some Pressure

Hey kids! I hope you all had a grand holiday filled with too much alcohol, too much food and too much togetherness. The wife and I visited with my brother-in-law, Mark, his wife, Lisa, her parents, my in-laws, and assorted others including their too cute nieces, Megan and Devyn before we shot over to my parents for their 25-guest-strong, 3-table, gobble fest. The strategic separation of the wife and me in the seating didn't dampen our spirits, though I pitied her in the family sandwich between my mom's cousin and my uncle. My dad's bird was fantastic-- moist, tender, flavorful. I think it was the best he ever cooked and, except for a smoked bird I had once (can't remember who cooked it....), it might be the best I've ever eaten. Kudos to him for that and the lovely pumpkin soup.
Saturday, Hiroshi and I took the train out to be with Wubby and cook some 'que for a shindig coming up at our place this Saturday-- I'd invite you all, but we're already beyond seating capacity. We've got ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork, ham, sausage, kielbasa, and more. We're expecting 15 or so, but just to be safe, I'll have food for 40 knowing me. It was a goofy cook and we spent more time splitting wood than doing anything else. It's fun to swing the lighter axe instead of the maul. We learned a bit about Wubby's wood eating habits and how she likes to be adjusted, if you know what I mean. I'm talking about getting air to the fire here, people. Get your minds out of the gutter. We set her up in a hodge podge of tarps which you'll see below.

The new job is humming along nicely. Still very quiet, sort of off on my own, but I work at my own pace, listen to the radio and get it done. The people seem just fine so far and the neighborhood (Midtown, East) has turned out to be a little more cool than I thought.


3 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

Good to hear about the new job. Can I get me one of those? I'm sitting here fighting tooth and nail to get a vacation around here. I'm sick of working holidays!! Anyhoo, love the ax-wielding pic. What's up Paul Bunyan. Glad to hear your toy is working properly now and you're taking oh such good care of it.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Mona, I used to think working holidays would make me look like a hero, then I realized that a boss seems to have a 1 day memory span, and then it would be back to crappytown. I hope you can get out of there and start your foodie writer career soon. Then you can tip me off to all those fancy preview tastings.

3:57 PM  
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Damn, that food looks damn good. Let me ask you a personal question. Don't you get attitude from the family for making bbq for holiday meals? I sure do - that kinda - oh he's crazy attitude, but they always eat all of it.

BTW - When you gonna update this thing?

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.