The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

God Still Reads The Headlines


Been a while since I checked in. I hope to have time for a more full update in the next day or so, but suffice to say that things have been hectic. The smoker has still NOT been delivered. I'll explain that more,too, but I've had more than enough of dealing with inept freight shipping companies to last my lifetime. Did a little cooking on my old Char-Griller this past weekend and had some great eats. Pictures will follow, but we did a turkey breast, brisket flat, bratwurst, hot and sweet sausage, and some boneless chicken breasts. Yum. Shown here are some non-que items that have been eaten around our house recently. Above is Amy's lasagna, and below is an apple pie I made for my mother-in-law while she was staying with us-- I love Jonagold apples!

The insides were just apples, a little cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, brown sugar and dots of butter. The apple flavor burst out of every piece with just a hint of spice and sweet. I haven't made many pies, but the apples in this one were the stars. I think it was a success. It didn't hang around very long.

3 Comments:

Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey there Speed Eater...

Thanks for the comments and the update. The lasagna was delicioso. We're having people over on Dec 3rd for bbq, so I hope you'll be able to come. A formal invite is coming soon. I hear alot of people have trouble w/ the Alt-Merman. Hope everything is good with you.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, I can't believe you haven't gotten the new one yet. Is it being carried by donkeys and Sherpas from Nepal!?!?
I mean, come on!
That apple pie looks amazing. What recipe? Is it your own? My dad makes a mean apple pie, this one might just stand up to it :)

2:07 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey Mona, nice to hear from you. Puhleeze, don't get me started about the smoker. Total nightmare. More on that later.

The pie was fun-- I haven't made very many, so I just kind of winged it. It was my own recipe-- quick, simple pie dough in the Cuisinart (flour, butter, ice water, etc...) and the filling was six Jonagolds from Whole Foods, along with the other ingredients mentioned above-- (I'm guessing) maybe 1.5 tbsp of brown sugar, 1/8 tsp each of allspice + nutmeg, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and dots of butter all over. Easy peasy. I doubt it beats your dad's-- he sounds like he knows what he's doing!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.