The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Shattered Good


In times of trouble, eat. When you feel down, dig into something that makes you feel better. Why not, what could be wrong with that. Oh, it's ok. I admit I'm an addict. I love junk food, fast food, fake food and candy/sweets. I keep bags of candy within reach of the bed-- well, not as much as I used to, but pretty frequently.

When I was trapped in Chicago in the days following September 11, 2001 I really freaked out. That day was the day I was supposed to check out, but I tried to stay because I had no place to go, and the hotel threw me out. As I was ranting to Amy on the phone and shoving stuff into my bags, I realized my supply of candy was running short and I blurted-- "(Littany of things)...and I'm running out of candy! Where am I gonna find more candy now. Everybody has probably already stocked up."

So, while the BYC has been banged up, I made some candy. I had a sudden craving for peanut brittle. I came across an old family recipe that I mucked with, and it turned into an easy, dangerously quick treat. When dealing with cooked sugar mixtures always exercise extreme caution-- it's easy to get burned. Whatever you do-- resist the urge to lick the spoon or whatever you mix with-- the mixture and the spoon stay hot for a long time. It may spit a little when you add the vanilla, so watch out.


Microwave Peanut Brittle

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanuts
1 tsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 lightly greased cooking sheet

Microwave the sugar and the corn syrup on high for 9 minutes. Add the peanuts and microwave three minutes more. Add the vanilla and butter and cook for 1.5 minutes more. Slowly stir in the baking soda until the mixture foams and turn it out on a greased cookie sheet. Let it cool 30 minutes and shatter into bite-sized pieces. Note- My microwave is way old and is probably lower powered than yours, so keep an eye on things and adjust cooking times as you need.

7 Comments:

Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Candy? Comfort food? Man, I know how you feel. Sometimes you just need comfort food. Except for me it's grilled chicken!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Aw, shoot, man-- when I'm like this, it's smorgasbord time. Yesterday, I griddled up a bunch of chuck/sirloin burgers with minced onion, wooster, garlic, seasoned salt, black pepper. Made a secret sauce, and put them on some buns with lettuce and pickles on the side w/ shoestring taters. Next up, a bag of chocolate dipped Chessmen cookies while I made a huge pot of chicken soup for my wife who's come down with a cold. Ate two bowls of that before bed.

For the Giants game today-- more burgers, soup, brittle. Not sure what else. The wheels are coming of the cart, man. Hope all is well in your slice? The BYC is scheduled to re-ship tomorrow. Dana @ Klose told me there are some "extras" coming my way to make things right. Can't wait to see what that means. Rambling from too much coffee.....

10:08 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Wow...How illiterate do I sound? And to think, I write for a living. Sheesh.....

10:10 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, what's up Willy Wonka? When did you go all candy on me? Haa, love this post.I've always been a huge fan of peanut brittle but never thought to make it meself. Looks like I'll have to give it a whirl. I too love all things bad for me. And I truly believe anyone who denies that fact is just full of bologna.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey Smokey, the pain you're in now doesn't compare to what the dentist will do to ya. Hardy har har. Seriously, though, I made alot of friends at the new job with this stuff.

Mona, you crack me up. And my wife loves bologna. I can't stand that stuff.

Hope you all had a good weekend. The weather here in NYC was amazing on Sunday.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

I thought about making it with Cashews, too. You beat me to it. Let me know how it turns out.

I've made it a bunch since this post-- you're right, it is nuttin' but good....

Owch.

9:54 AM  
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Ok - This weekend I'm making brittle, but I'm using Jalapeno flavored peanuts. I'll post my results on my blog.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.