The Hampton Smoker

What's up wtih what's going down? Does a tree falling on the ocean with no one around make a sound? Barbecue, BBQ, Bar-b-que. It's all in how you sell it.

Monday, December 19, 2005

Working for the Weekend

Hiroshi and I went out to the East End on Saturday morning to cook up some 'que that people ordered from us for the Holidays. It's a long day to travel 3 hours, lugging up-to 50 or more pounds of iced meat, before you even get to cooking for 10 or more hours straight. Add to that splitting the oak and hickory used in the cooking, making the rubs, trimming the meat, etc...I love it more than most things, but sometimes I'm glad that I don't do this every single day. Aw, who am I kidding. I would do it every day.

Amy and I made a night of it on Friday and had some drinks and stayed up too late talking and laughing, so Saturday morning came around hard. We thought it was
going to be a small batch, but...We had a 9 pound ham, a 15 pound brisket, 3 4lb chickens, 2 racks of ribs and their trimmings, 2 4 pound chuck rolls, and two bricks of tofu for some veggie-lovin' hippies. I've actually wanted to do some more tofu for a while. People like that stuff. Oh, well.

The brisket was pretty hefty

We cooked that and the chuck for about 17 hours. 6 of those hours were in the smoke, then they went into aluminum trays. It was pretty cool after dark and we had a flask of single malt to help us along. Eventually, sadly, the brisket and chuck went into the oven at 200 degrees while we got about 3 or 4 hours of sleep. It was a long day and we had to sleep, couldn't trust the charcoal basket which was untested when unwatched, and didn't want to use the gas. When I got up I took the brisket out of the pan, separated the fat and liquid. The meat was sliced and chunked (burnt ends). It turned out moist, tender and tasty. I put together a little hungover presentation breakfast plate for Hiroshi.


I'd never smoked any chuck before, but these were 'very affordable' and looked promising. I've heard good things before. Well, they had a 'spongy' feel before cooking and took on a beautiful color--almost burgundy. I removed them and separated the juices and the fat. They were moist, but didn't get quite pullable or tender like brisket. We chopped it up, tossed it with some jar sauce, horseradish, heinz 57 and a mixture of the jus from the brisket and chucks. We had those with biscuits for breakfast with coffee.

The ribs have been turning out pretty consistent the last few cooks. They wanted them sauced this time, so we made a little honey-bbq sauce finish for these bad boys and based on the trimmings they were just fine. We snacked on brisket and chuck, foodsaved the vittles and were back on the road for the city by 4. Here's one last rib for ya.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could swear there is a clause in the Klose contract that says if you cook tofu on the smoker your warranty is void AND the smoker goes to the first person that points it out to you. I believe that would be me. I'll take it with 6 racks of baby backs please.

Smoker

10:29 PM  
Blogger WhiteTrashBBQ said...

Ya beat me to it Smoker!

But I'll be over to help you eat the ribs when Wubby settles in at her new home in Lindenhurst.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Sorry to not reply sooner, I was packing up my pit for the move..lol.

It was like I got drunk and violated my Wubby, with bean curd....

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Wow, a marathon of 'que. Very impressive. Now, do you make for family? Is this a small side business? Coworkers. Just curious what one had to do to get some...I'll be in CA for the weekend so guess you can't fedex me some :)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Mona-- all you have to do is ask. Alot of it is for friends, co-workers, family. I wouldn't call it a business, more like an exchange of gifts, so to speak. It would be nice to make it a full time job, though, eventually. Drop me an email when you get back from the left coast.

Happy, healthy and mighty chriswanzukas.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona could've asked me to whip some Q here in Cali. There aren't a lot of folks that can Barbecue in L.A. but those that do, can do it well.

BYC, I love the blog you have going here. I'm going to add you to my blogroll and I will be back often!

Bigmista
The Survival Gourmet

10:25 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hey BigMista-- Thanks for stopping by-- and for the nice comments. From what I've seen on your site, Cali has more than just great bbq. I love your site-- but it always makes me hungry! I'll be adding you, as well.

All the very best to you and yours. Here's hoping for a joy-filled 2006.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster


[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Backyard Chef.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

More blogs about bbq.
More blogs about The Hampton Smoker.